If you have not read The Harbinger, the best-selling novel should be placed at the top of your preparedness “to do” list. Jonathan Cahn’s book focuses upon a series of “signs” or omens which have happened in America since the 9/11 terror attacks of 2001. Cahn feels that he has unearthed the ancient prophecies of Isaiah 9:10-11 and fears an economic collapse on a global scale is looming.
Cahn uses fictional narratives as the foundation of the novel designed to detail ancient prophecies which he undeniably feels relate to the Bible verse and historical events which correspond with occurrences from 8th century B.C. Israel and events of the last decade in America
“The bricks have fallen down,
But we will rebuild with hewn stones;
The sycamores are cut down,
But we will replace them with cedars.”
11 Therefore the Lord shall set up
The adversaries of Rezin against him,
And spur his enemies on.“
“What you are about to read is presented in the form of a story, but what is contained within the story is real,” Jonathan Cahn says at the beginning of The Harbinger. The author is both a pastor and a rabbi. He is the leader of Hope of the World. The religious organization is an outreach dedicated to spreading the gospel through “projects of compassion to the world’s poorest.” Cahn is also the leader of the Jerusalem Center a worship center comprised of Jewish and gentile people from around the globe.
Cahn calls for Americans to repent and stop turning away from God while moving even further away from the foundations upon which this great nation was formed. Before the ancient nation of Israel was destroyed the nation received nine harbingers – or warning omens. Cahn and legions of fans of the book feel that the same nine harbingers have (or will) unfold in the United States. The ramifications of failing to heed the harbingers? The ultimate doomsday scenario, the end of days. Cahn reportedly feels only Israel and America have chosen nations (or been chosen depending upon the source) by God and are linked by the prophecies.
Excerpt from the Jonathan Cahn The Harbinger website:
“The Harbingers are so precise that they foretold recent American events down to the exact days. The revelations are so specific that even the most hardened skeptics will find hard to dismiss. It sounds like the plot of a Hollywood thriller – with one difference… IT’S REAL.”
To begin at the beginning, Cahn’s book opens with a man burdened with a message from “The Prophet” appearing. The mysterious prophet tasked the man with carrying and relaying nine seals. Each seal contains a harbinger about the future of America. The man tells others about his meet with The Prophet at a NYC skyscraper, and again on a rural mountaintop, at Ground Zero, and in Washington, D.C.
As the man burdened with sharing the omens speaks and reveals what is inside each seal, grave questions are pondered. If the harbingers are not addressed properly, the ramifications would change the course of history. Cahn also argues that the financial collapses of the Dow Jones Industrial Average on September 17, 2001, and September 29, 2008 were also harbingers. The author stated that both economic downturns occurred on the same date of the Hebrew calendar, the 29th of Elul. Cahn also noted that the date relates Dow Jones fluctuations to the Shmita – “a Sabbath year observed every seven years in Judaism, in which the land isn’t cultivated and debts are cancelled.” Jonathan Cahn feels a third financial hit could cause the United States economy, which is the backbone of the power which America possesses around the world, to collapse.
The Bible states that the Kingdom of Israel (Northern Kingdom) was a successor state to the United Monarchy or Kingdom of Israel – which came into being around 930 BC after the northern Tribes of Israel would not accept Rehoboam, Solomon’s son, as their king. Damascus and Israel were raided by the Assyrian king and lands belonging to the tribe were annexed.When the king of Assyrian raided the kingdom of Israel once again several year later, the rest of the tribes were deported – the people came to be known as members of the Ten Lost Tribes.
The omen parallels drawn between modern day America and the former Kingdom of Israel stem from a belief by Jonathan Cahn that both nations were based upon a country founded upon rules of God and a “Light Unto the Nations.”
The Nine Harbingers
- The Breach: Cahn maintains that America, much like ancient Israel, has breached a covenant made with God. The protection of God for the United States was hedged during the 9/11 terrorism attack.
- The Terrorist: The author also reportedly feels that much like the kingdom of Israel was attack by the Assyrians, the U.S. was attacked by Al-Qaeda. Both the Assyrians and terrorist who flew two planes into the World Trade Center, a field in Pennsylvania, and the Pentagon were all reportedly Semitic people.
- Fallen Bricks: Visibly falling bricks surely occurred as we all watched in horror on 9/11. No one who flipped on any news station that could has likely forgotten the feeling in the pit of their stomach when they saw the second plane circling around the World Trade Center.
- The Tower: After the attack on the ancient kingdom of Israel, the nation which vowed to repent from its sins did not – but they did vow to rebuild their structures with all the power and strength they could muster. Ground Zero was ultimately rebuilt, but many would argue that the cultural and societal ills which America faces have not gotten better – or gotten substantially worse over the past decade.
- Gazit Stone: The ancient Israelites carved mountain stone into rock and carried it to the site where the destruction of the Assyrians had occurred, where clay bricks had once stood. Three years after the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, a 20-ton querried rock was placed as a cornerstone of the new Ground Zero building. During a ceremony to commemorate the cornerstone placement, then governor George Pataki said, “Today, we, the heirs of that revolutionary spirit of defiance, lay this cornerstone and unmistakably signal to the world the unwavering strength of this nation, and our resolve to fight for freedom.” For some reason, the massive stone was ultimately removed from the World Trade Center site.
- Sycamore: Isaiah 9:10 states that the nation of Israel declares its sycamore trees have been destroyed Assyrians attack and will be replaced with cedar trees – or as they were anciently referred to, erez trees. The trees did not survive. After the Twin Towers fell and the debris damaged many area buildings, only St. Paul’s Chapel was unharmed. The chapel had a sycamore tree in front which took the brunt of the blast. In 1789, government leaders prayed together on the day George Washington was inaugurated as the first president of the United States. A memorial was created for the “9/11″ sycamore.
- Erez Tree: On 9/11, on November 29, 2003, a new tree was planted to replace the sycamore in front of the chapel. The 21-foot spruce tree and was dubbed the Tree of Hope. The tree died and was ultimately dug up, destroyed, and never replaced. “The ancient sign of nearing national judgment has been manifested. The erez tree has fallen,” Cahn said.
- The Utterance: The utterance, or a as it is often referred to “the vow of defiance brought The Harbinger author to draw anther parallel between ancient Israel and our modern nation. Cahn maintains that a national leader would “speak the defiant vow” in a speech about rebuilding the nation’s capital. He firmly believes that then U.S. Senator John Edwards did just that during a 9/11 memorial in 2004. Edwards quoted Isaiah 9:10.
- The Prophecy: Cahn points to another harbinger parallel between the United States and ancient Israel. The prophecy states that a national leader must utter Isaiah 9:10 as a vow before the cornerstone and tree are placed, Cahn says. Senator Tom Daschle, Senate Majority Leader after the 9/11 attacks, also reportedly quoted the biblical passage in an address before Congress as part of his response to the terror attacks.