Knowledge is Power (KiP): When it comes to preparedness, a lot of people overlook this one major issue, and that is to prepare your body and family/group medically. So the time is NOW to prepare you and your family medically before disaster strikes. For if you’re not prepared medically, when you have a medical issue during or after a disaster when there is no medical support, you will suffer or even die.
For starters, when was the last time you and your family had a full medical, physical and dental checkup? If it’s been a year or more since your last checkup, that’s too long.
MEDICAL and PHYSICAL EXAMS: This includes a full medical examination / health checkup that includes a full blood workup, eye examination and get glasses as needed, chest x—ray, and if your over forty, an ECG and stress test.
Along with getting your checkup, if you’re not in shape, get in shape. The more a person is out of shape or overweight, the more difficult it will be for them to survive under adverse survival conditions. And if you’re obese, there is a very good chance you will not survive. During post disaster survival conditions, physical labor will be in great demand. This is when the heart attack rates go up because survivors are not use to the physical demands of survival.
DENTAL EXAMS: This includes a full dental examination with x-rays, a full cleaning and getting all cavities filled. Having an infected and/or impacted tooth under adverse survival conditions will cause a person’s death within days to weeks.
IMMUNIZATIONS: This would include getting all your shots up to date to include but not limited to Chicken pox, Hepatitis A, B and C, Measles, Mumps, TB and Tetanus.
IMMUNE SYSTEM: While there is still time, everyone needs to start building up their own immune system for when disasters strike.
- Alcohol – Also damages the body’s ability to fight off infections.
- Colloidal Silver – Is one of the best solutions on the market to heal infections and wounds.
- Drugs – Only damage the body’s ability to heal itself by over 80%, there are no benefits.
- Fitness – Like I mentioned above, the more overweight you are, the worse time you will have surviving.
- Junk Foods – Stop eating them, candy bars, chips, starched foods, etc. This also includes sodas and anything diet that has a large amount of refined sugars and artificial sweeteners that are extremely harmful to the body.
- Organic Foods – Eat as much as possible if not all the time. GMO’s are one of the worst things you can put in your body.
- Plasma pH Drops – Raises the pH level in the body to help fight off diseases and infection.
- Raw Foods – Include fresh fruits, juices and vegetables, eat as much as you can.
- Tea Tree Oil – Is reported to be excellent for the treatment of bacterial infections of the skin.
- Tobacco – Cuts way down the body’s ability to heal itself, especially cigarettes.
- Vitamins – A, B6, C and E all will greatly enhance and strengthen the immune system.
Other ways to help your body is using Grape seed extract, Raw Garlic and the natural herbs: Echinacea, Goldenseal and olive leaf extract.
Associated article: Nine foods you should never eat again.
DISASTER MEDICAL KITS: This is just the first portion of medical preparedness; the next portion is a well stocked first aid / medical kit. In a post TEOTWAWKI situation, folks will not be able to drive down to the local drug store to restock their kits. So it is crucial to have a minimum of a year’s worth of medical supplies. Some additional medical kits that a lot of folks overlook are:
- Advanced trauma kits
- Birthing kits
- Burn kits
- Dental kits
- First Responder kits
- Minor surgical kits
- Suture kits
It is extremely important to remember that all your supplies in your medical kits are stored in “Weatherproof” containers stored in a cool dark and dry area. The last thing you need is you need some sterile bandages and find that they are useless because they are wet.
ALTERNATIVE MEDICINES: Another portion of medical preparedness that folks really need to consider is Alternative Medicines to support their medical supplies during a long term TEOTWAWKI survival scenario. This includes but is not limited to Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Herbalist, Homeopathy, Naturopathy, Osteopathy and Reflexology.
MEDICAL LIBRARY: And the last portion of medical preparedness is your Medical Library. In a post disaster situation where there is no 911, ER’s or doctors available, folks need to know disaster/emergency first aid or people /family members can die depending on the severity of the injury. Having a good medical library along with the proper supplies can mean the difference between life and death. Working in the medical field all my life and working disasters all around the world, here are some recommend books:
- Ditch Medicine: Advanced Field Procedures for Emergencies – Hugh Coffee
- The Doom and Bloom Survival Medicine Handbook – by Joseph & Amy Alton
- Emergency War Surgery: The Survivalist’s Medical Desk Reference – Department of the Army
- Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook – Department of Defense
- Where there is no Doctor – by David Werner
- Where there is no Dentist – by Murray Dickson
Here are some final questions to seriously think about with no ER’s or doctors available in a post disaster situation? REMEMBER: You’re On Your Own – Indefinitely
- Do you know what to do / how to take care of a gunshot wound?
- Can you perform emergency surgery for appendicitis?
- Do you know what to do when a woman is giving birth?
- How would you pull an infected tooth?
- Do you know how to take care of 2nd and 3rd degree burns?
- Can you perform emergency first aid for a traumatic amputation?
- Do you know how to stop massive bleeding of a family member?
WHAT WOULD YOU DO?