Posted by .

guy thinking

In my travels around the world working post-disasters, I have seen more than my fair share of hardship, misery, starvation and death of people who did not prepare for a disaster. Man-made and natural disasters can happen at any time and anywhere without warning. In a worse case scenario where all power is lost and all supply lines stop indefinitely, all hell will break loose.

When this happens, one will see anarchy, crime waves, lawlessness, lootings, murders, gangs, riots, etc. And within days to weeks after the disaster, one will see ordinary people, friends, relatives and family change when they are starving for food. Best friends and neighbors kill each other over food. That is why I take my instruction in preparedness so seriously.

Since 1996, I’ve been teaching my class “Worse Case Scenario Disaster Preparedness” to inform people of what will happen during and after disasters and how to prepare for them. Over the last several years, I’ve run into a wall of people who are complacent and or in denial of what is happening around them. Unfortunately, in the very near future, I see mass hardship, misery, starvation and death here in the U.S.

With the current downward political climate and natural disasters drastically increasing worldwide, food is the best insurance one can invest in for the unexpected. There are numerous businesses around that strongly recommend investing in precious metals like gold, silver, platinum, etc. But when all hell breaks loose, the question is, can you eat gold coins? What do silver ingots taste like?

In the twentieth century, the United States was the breadbasket for the world. She could feed her own population along with several other countries. Between the U.S. converting grain from food to bio-fuels and farmers producing less food, the United States was importing more than 40 percent of its food by 2012. A little-known fact is that only 2 percent of the world population feeds the other 98 percent. Over the last few years, food shortages have been reported worldwide and continue to worsen.

Food prices have been steadily rising for the past several years. Between increasing food recalls and being on the brink of hyper-inflation due to the devaluation of the dollar, food prices will sky-rocket very soon. It is unfortunate that the average American family nowadays has only one week’s worth of food on hand at any given time.

It’s interesting that at the onset of a disaster like a hurricane, you can easily see all the folks who are not prepared when they run en mass to their local grocery stores to stock up on food and the basics. When these folks purchase their supplies, they only purchase a week or two of supplies at the most. During and after any major man-made or natural disaster, power and supply lines will be cut indefinitely. This means no electricity and supplies (food) for weeks or months. That leaves thousands of people who are not prepared starving, especially those with not enough food stored up.

I know of several families that had a storage of food saved up when the head of household lost a job. Being out of work and with no income, their food stores saved their lives and made life easier. So having extra food stores on hand is a great idea and the best insurance one c

2 Responses to “Why Buy Food”

  1. Bennie Walton

    I have always been concerned with preparation for the long-term. I always wanted a backup power source and now I have a generator that I will have to protect from those who will be coming to take when a significant disaster strikes. I also began to have long-term food supplies, something I think, no, I know everyone should have but don’t because people are only concerned for the NOW. My home is not a fortress and I don’t have guns, but I have made it very difficult for people to now break-in and still. It won’t stop them, but I now have time to properly react when they do try when me and my wife are home.

    We cannot be 100% prepared nor can we be 100% safe, but that does not mean concerned people should not take reasonable precautions.